What To Expect
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM PLAYING HGVA VOLLEYBALL
Each player has a different experience as a club member. Naturally, some players are more successful than others. Players who put more effort into the program usually get more out of it than those who don't work as hard. These are what we feel are the major benefits of the program:
• Instruction: Coaches who have previous experience.
• Extended Training Schedule: Top collegiate programs work nearly year round because volleyball takes a long time to master. Since high school programs are restricted to a few week of practice followed by an intensive match schedule, good technical instruction is hard to obtain during school. Our training allows ample time for work on techniques so that players may improve their skill levels.
• New Friendships: Since our players are committed to becoming the best they can be, many new friendships can be formed from different schools.
• Increased Discipline: The time commitment required to be in a junior program requires that study habits improve and players budget their time better. It's also vital that players have disciplined work habits on the court.
• Exposure to College Recruiters: As a member of most high school programs, it is likely that the only way a college coach will see you is if you or your opponent has an outstanding player. Coaches regularly attend junior competitions. Some even occasionally attend practices.
• Fitness: Conditioning does not play a large part in our plans because it takes vital time away from practices; however, it is necessary for players to be fit in order to succeed. Therefore, conditioning outside of practice sessions is encouraged.
• Leadership Skills: The age-group system requires that younger players become leaders. The oldest players in the 16 and under for example, are sophomores. Players returning to high school as juniors are often leaders ahead of their time due to their junior volleyball experience.
• Education: We are trying to create smarter players, not just better players. Volleyball is a sport in which new situations happen frequently and outstanding players learn to deal effectively with new situations.
• Fun: We think it is a lot more fun to play volleyball at a higher level. As players progress and the speed of the game increases, it becomes more fun all the time.